Posted .

When you use mouthwash, it’s important not to swallow it. However, sometimes accidents happen and the rinse finds its way down your throat and into your stomach. When this happens, you might feel a little panicked, but there is no need to worry. Just stay calm. Our dentist, Dr. Lyndel Stripling, is happy to tell you what you can expect and recommend the steps you need to take.

If you have swallowed a little bit of mouthwash, there is no need to worry. The worst thing that might happen is experiencing nausea and diarrhea. Fortunately, the symptoms should pass within a couple days. To keep this from happening again, make a goal for yourself to avoid swallowing the rinse. If you need to, shut and lock the bathroom door so your family members and pets don’t distract you.

If you have swallowed a lot of mouthwash, you need to read the label to see if there are any potentially dangerous ingredients in the rinse. Some ingredients to look for include fluoride and ethanol. If it does have dangerous ingredients, you need to call the National Poison Control Center at 1-800-222-1222 for immediate help. The symptoms you could experience include dizziness, trouble breathing, and drowsiness. In serious cases, you could have convulsions or fall into a coma. For serious cases, go to the Emergency Room.

For more information and details about what to do if you swallow mouthwash in Dallas, Texas, please contact our dental team at Lake Highlands Dental by dialing (214) 613-1279. We are more than happy to give you the answers and help you need, so please don’t hesitate to reach out to us!